Welcome!

Exploring the Ancient Kemetic world today through ideas, thoughts, art and experiences

Monday, 1 October 2012

Real

 

I came across an article (it was an entry in his journal actually) from Whitley Strieber that tackles the concept of what is real and what is not, specifically when addressing  inevitable issues that arise when one pursues meditation.

 

I believe that what he has written applies also the pursuit of a spiritual path.

 

The paragraph that had quite an impact on me is this:

 

Even before beginning, though, it is essential to address the question: when I encounter another presence or presences during meditation, is something real happening or is it my imagination? This is a question of a very different kind from normal questions. The question itself is an essential part of the energy of this experience. It cannot be answered in an objective manner. We have to let it remain within us, and come to peace with it. I have been working with this question for many years, and it has become an inexhaustible source of energy for me. It is not there to be answered, but to be accepted, and living with it in this way is powerfully freeing and transformative.

 

I do not think that the mechanics of what we are – humans with a flesh body and a rich range of emotions and spiritual aspirations – can allow us to know an ultimate answer to questions like ”Are the Gods real?”

 

Prayer, meditation, shamanic rituals, and healing can give us a glimpse, but I do not think we will ever be able to prove it. I think this is part of the deal of taking on corporeal form. Maybe, it is Netjer’s way of saying, “Get on with it. Live your life. Experience Us through the wonder of the world”.

 

It appears that I have a talent for channelling. An episode on the weekend has prompted one of my teachers and friends to believe that this is so. My logical mind questions this. In that part of my brain, I feel like I made it all up.

 

But in the part where I can leave the question open, there were some nuggets in there that I think, at the very least, are going to help with me with some spiritual and creative projects. ( I have not yet listened to the recording as I wish to give myself distance before I do).

 

As a result of the channelling, a reconnection with Sobek has been made. Between the still powerful receding full moon, and the images and thoughts of Sobek last night, I could not sleep.

 

But something came out of the meditation I did before bed, and through my restless night. Sobek appears in 3 forms: human, crocodile, and crocodile headed human. This information is generating a new painting, I can feel it. This string of incidents will ultimately lead to a very real manifestation of a painting . . . . and perhaps that is what art is for.

 
To make real the unknowable.
 

 
 
(It is not the first time I have written about Whitley).
 
The entire journal entry from which the paragraph Whitley wrote is here.
 



2 comments:

  1. Yes, that is a good quote! My rational mind tells me the same thing. Yet I've had all these cool experiences. To embrace the Mystery, to not require certainty, that seems to be the key.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been struggling with the same issues surrounding identifying what is real or not. I've found that the best thing I can do, is to try to talk to other practitioners who may have worked with the spirit that was communicated with, and to try to cross reference anything said by the spirit (case by case) with historical or scientific data.

    I sometimes get information about health, or herbs, or things that I should have no reason to have known previously. These are things that can be referenced. I'm mainly nocturnal these days due to my college schedule. I wondered if I was getting enough vitamin D, and it was pointed out to me that you can get that as a result of moonlight as well, though its more subtle. I wondered how this could be, looked it up, and sure enough there it was.

    It's experiences like this that solidify my belief that I'm speaking with entities that exist outside of my own being :) There's still plenty of mystery, but depending on the circumstance it can be important to confirm things as well.

    As much as I love the mystery of it all, I'm not going to go grab a random herb I've never heard of to make a tea to heal a friend because Isis suggested if I don't believe she exists. (though miscommunications can happen, so I try to check my data in those cases anyway) :)

    ReplyDelete